what is sports massage?
Sports massage therapy is a deep and intense soft tissue release technique that relieves muscle tension, damage, breaks down adhesion's and ultimately reduces the pain you experience.
Our therapists use deep pressure that works into the superficial and deeper lying muscles to increase blood flow and temperature to help the muscles relax.
why have a sports massage?
To utilise a sports massage does not necessarily mean you have to actively participate in sporting events. Our deep tissue massage techniques can help you to recover from various conditions, such as;
Muscle strains are the number one cause of pain and discomfort. Strains are caused by a pull or over stretch leading to pain, inflammation, spasm and muscular weakness.
Whiplash is an injury which is often caused by sharp acceleration/deceleration movements which can cause, severe pain and discomfort for months.
Sciatica is a problem affecting large numbers of people each day, Massage can be an amazing way to alleviate the pain and weakness that sciatica causes in the back, hips and legs.
Frozen Shoulder is a long standing injury to the shoulder joint which is typically caused due to calcification (excess of calcium) in the joint. Pain and a severe lack of movement is the result, sports massage can help to open and relax the muscles which become tight and stiff due to under-use, helping to create more movement within the joint and freeing up movement into the shoulder.
Deep tissue massages are an excellent way to reduce those common headaches, while headaches tend to be caused by poor hydration, tightness in muscles caused by stress, anxiety and over-training can replicate these headaches which are extremely painful.
DOMS is hugely common within athletes and fitness enthusiasts. DOMS are caused due to micro tears within a particular muscle group which has been worked hard and also can be caused by a build up of lactic acid within the muscles which cause pain and reduce range of movement. Massage is a popular treatment method to help realign torn fibres and remove lactic acid from muscles.
benefits of sports massage
There are many benefits to utilising sports massage as a means of recovery or enhancing performance.
Adhesion's are caused by inflammation or injury and these are very common within muscles. Muscle tissues in the body that have a large number of adhesion's tend to suffer from a lack of movement in affected joints, increased pain and have been known to cause trapped nerves.
Reduction in muscular tension that leads to reduced pain and discomfort.
Massage is an excellent method to help increase range of movement to enhance your performance for sports or training.
Sports or deep tissue massages are an incredible way to help reduce injury times for muscular strains and any other niggles.
Increasing relaxation through massage can really help to reduce signs of physical and psychological stress.
how to prepare for your sports massage?
Before you receive your sports massage from us there are some steps you can take to make it a much more enjoyable experience.
- Stay hydrated - Hydration is very important before having a massage as being dehydration can cause the fascia and muscles to be stiff which can make the massage more uncomfortable than it has to be.
- Only eat a light meal before - If you are booked in for an evening massage, ensure that you only have a light meal, nothing is worse than having a massage on a feel stomach, especially as massage slows down the bodies systems, which also involves the digestive system.
WHAT TO DO AFTER YOUR SPORTS MASSAGE
Typically after a massage you may experience some tenderness for up to 48 hours, depending on the massage you received. Here are some tips you may wish to follow post massage;
- Enjoy a hot bath - Having a hot bath can help to reduce any extra soreness you could be experiencing, Epsom salts is a favourite of ours.
- Incorporate Massage - Massage is a great treatment method and you should accept it as a necessary part of recovery.
- Hold off on training - Training immediately after a massage is a big no-no! Allow your body the time it needs to recover effectively, taking a day or two off training post massage can be a huge factor improving your performance.
Contact us now on 07477255599, alternatively email email@example.com to find out more information about what we can do for you.